Friday, December 13, 2013

good news!

 (DISCLAIMER!  This is not about any family news!)

When I have special good news, 
I tell it first to the people most important in my life;
my family and closest friends.

When God has good news,
He chooses to tell it first 
to those who need the good news most.

"And the angel said to them, 
“Fear not, for behold, 
I bring you good news of great joy 
that will be for all the people."
Luke 2:10

In this case He happened to tell the news to shepherds;
men so poor they didn't own their own animals,
but tended those of others for their subsistence.

I've never seen a shepherd in the Philippines...but there are goatherds!
God's good news of great joy is first for the poor,
the needy, those who are in darkness, those who have no resources or hope.

And the shepherds' response?
It was to tell others.

"When they had seen him, they spread the word 
concerning what had been told them about this child..." 
Luke 2:17

I too was in darkness, 
needy, 
without hope in this world,
but now, having seen what the Lord made known through His Word,
I want my first response to be like those shepherds;
to share this good news of great joy
found in the treasure of His Word!

No comments: