Tuesday, August 3, 2010

in the bag


The other day I was alone in the house working quietly on the computer in the back room. Suddenly I heard a rustling sound in the back corner. There were two plastic bags on the floor with some car-related items inside. What could be rustling in there? Maybe a cockroach. I decided not to worry about it and went back to my work.

But not for long. Soon there was more rustling. I looked back to see the bags moving. Definitely NOT cockroach-sized moves. These bags were wiggling. Oh no. My first thought was that it was a rat. The only one we've seen (inside our gates) was a dead one on our doorstep; a gift from a neighborhood cat. I really didn't want to meet one here in the house. After all it's OUR house.

My next thought was that it might be a snake. Though I haven't yet seen a live one here, we have friends who've found many of them in and around their house. Ugh. I wasn't excited to meet one of those, either. Where is Mark when I need him?

Next thing I knew, whatever it was came leaping out of the bag toward me. I'm not a screamer, but I screamed - and ran. But just for a moment. When I turned back around to look, there he sat.










A toad.
My relief was huge. Of all creatures, a toad is just about the least threatening.

How many times in this life do I fear what 'might be' instead of confronting what is? And how many times do I allow myself to imagine worst-case scenarios; worrying about rats when there are only harmless toads?

C.S. Lewis sums it up:
"We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be."
Could that be faith?
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
And oh for courage to deal with a rat should that be part of His loving plan for me!

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." Psalm 13:5

4 comments:

Justin G. said...

Haha! It's amazing how God uses the little things to remind us of such profound concepts. Good luck with the critters of southeast Asia!

Cute toad, by the way...

us5 said...

he was cuter once i got him outside ;o)

Carl G. said...

Could it be that you have moved unawares into Toad Hall?

us5 said...

makes sense...who more likely than Toad to be rummaging about in the auto supplies?!?