Monday, April 16, 2012

never know what you'll see



Michael holds a baby croc
While Michael's sisters were gone on their service trip, Michael had a taste of being an only child.  Not nearly as much fun as having his sisters around.  One day we decided to go re-explore the Crocodile Park together, the nearest thing to a zoo in Davao.

Here's a peek at some of what we saw...
(no  exotic squirrels today, like we've sometimes seen in captivity here!)


an imposing cassawary




just a little wary of the cassawary...



the most amusing of birds.  I could have watched him hop around in his rabbit-y way for hours!



I had to chuckle; where else would you see orangutans eating mango for lunch?



but this guy made me sad...



momma tiger well-enclosed in a chain-link cage



and her playful baby tiger...



playing under the bushes here behind this low rope fence...:eek!:



reminders of how very difficult the English language can be 



and of the culture of the tribes around us



couldn't get much closer!



and then there was the sleepy civet, whose presence helps in the production of the locally grown coffee...




in the gift store - anyone want to try some? I'm not brave enough, but we'd be happy to bring some back for you!  ;)



You just never know what you'll see at the Crocodile Park!


8 comments:

Kay said...

After reading such a long description of the coffee, I need a cup to wake me up....

us5 said...

would you like it brewed with civet-digested coffee beans?!? ;)

Betsy de Cruz said...

Beautiful photos, Barbara! Love the crocodile.

I just opened my blog for the first time in a month, and it was great to see your sweet comment! I've missed my blogging friends. Hopefully I can get back to writing, but it's tricky on furlough. Blessings to you and your family!

Diane G said...

I enjoyed your photos but I'll definitely skip the coffee. Thanks for offering, though! ;-)

Judy said...

Love the multicolored bird!! And just what it says about the God Who created it!
The monkey makes me sad too :-( Not exactly where he belongs or what he should be doing.

us5 said...

okay, Diane! ;) no coffee for you! :D

us5 said...

hey, Olive Tree! it's good to 'see' you! enjoy that furlough. ♥

us5 said...

hi Judy! come on over; i'll take you to see the bird irl! ;)