Tuesday, July 15, 2014

hard rock

The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, 
and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation...
2 Samuel 22:47

When Mark suggested a stop at the Carlsbad Caverns in NM,
I was delighted.
It's always seemed to me a beckoning, mysterious sort of place.
Mark, Amy, Elise and Michael enter at the Natural Entrance

...from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. 
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I...
Psalm 61:2

Mysterious, yes.
Other-worldly, worship-inspiring.
Almost everyone inside spoke in whispers, and I'm not convinced that it was just out of obedience to the park ranger at the entrance who encouraged us to talk softly. 

 The sheer magnitude of this subterranean world is truly awesome.


Trust in the Lord forever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
Isaiah 26:4

No lens could do it justice.

Even in our God-less age,
His handiwork is still reminding people everywhere of His eternal might and glory!

I won't be down in those caverns again...
at least not anytime soon.
But  His handiwork is all around me,
every day,
if I'll only notice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I must confess we took the elevator down and up when we went through in 2004.
Hank

Diane G said...

Wow! I had no idea Carlsbad Caverns are so HUGE! Thanks for sharing the photos and for your thoughts about them as well as about our everyday encounters with the wonders of God's handiwork.

us5 said...

it is ENORMOUS, Diane! we only saw a fraction of what is down there, and we walked for hours. it felt like something out of a movie. and we found ourselves wondering what it must have been like to discover it...before the smooth pathways and subtle lights were added!