Monday, January 16, 2012

oatmeal muffin pie

Muffins are a favorite breakfast food around our house, 
even for Amy who is pretty picky about her morning meal.

But I'm pretty picky about my muffins.  
I like them to be both somewhat healthy, and also easy to make!  
And the ingredients need to be ones I can access where we live.


So when I tried this recipe and everyone loved it, I knew it was a keeper.  
Whenever I make it, I double the recipe so there are leftovers!


Oatmeal Muffin Pie

1 cup of quick oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 scant cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup of white or wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
**extras**


**Because buttermilk is rare, I just sour a cup of milk.  Pour an overflowing tablespoon of white vinegar into a cup measure, fill with milk, and let it rest for about 5 minutes.  It will be curdled looking, and works great as a substitute for buttermilk!


In a large bowl, soak the oats in the buttermilk for about 10 minutes.  Stir in the egg, sugar and oil.  Then stir in the baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Finally, add the flour.  Yay!  One bowl muffins!

I also toss in some extras to make these more interesting.  Sometimes I'll add 1/3 c. chocolate chips, or some nuts and dried berries if we have any available.  Thanks to our friends, L&J, we're still enjoying cherry-walnut muffins!  Thank you!!

Since we own only 6-count muffin tins, and it takes too long to bake up enough for everyone, I now grease up a Corelle pie plate and pour the whole recipe inside.  Pop it in the oven at 375, and in 20-25 minutes you have Muffin Pie for breakfast! 

Another 5 minutes later, all you have left is crumbs.  ;)


This recipe is so easy, and is so easy to multiply, that it was the perfect recipe to use for Christmas gifts.  I made triple batches, which equaled 10 mini-loaves. Even in our small oven, I could load several loaf pans on a baking sheet, so the baking time wasn't crazy either.

Mini Oatmeal Muffin loaves, perched on ant traps, wrapped and waiting for delivery. 

 What extras would you mix in your muffin pie?



5 comments:

Judy said...

Yay! It's letting me comment today!
Thank you for the recipe Barb!!! I'm excited to try it ....maybe even this snowy cold morning before Brian goes back to the University!(He requested your cappuccino muffins last night so I made those and he and Kevin walked some over to Annie's house at 10:15 or so..in 23 degree weather...I think they had a bit of cabin fever!)

Serena said...

Yum! This looks delicious. I am always on the look out for good breakfast recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Sherrey Meyer said...

Sounds yummy! Will be trying it very, very soon. Thanks for sharing

The Church Cook said...

This would be perfect for our tea time!

us5 said...

hope you all enjoy! my sister tried it, and suggested adding a little vanilla, or even some cinnamon (which i have also tried, and it was yummy! but then, i like cinnamon with almost ANYTHING!)

anything would be perfect for a tea time with you, Kay! okay...maybe not pb&js... ;)