Tuesday, February 24, 2015

eyes at the window


One afternoon early last year, as I brushed my hair in preparation for a meeting at the office,  I sensed something was not quite right.  I turned around to find,  two feet away through the always-open window, an unfamiliar old Filipina woman watching me, her eyes pressed up to the window screen.  

photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thelightningman/5609066984/

She was on her way to visit my neighbor just behind our home, and she saw nothing strange in stopping to watch me brush my hair.  She was, after all, intensely interested in who I was and how I lived.

We talked for a few minutes, and as she left, I found myself wondering,  
“Are my eyes on Christ in that kind of focused way? 
 Do I long that much to know Him?   
Do I take any opportunity I can to gaze on Him, 
and focus on His Words?”  


Hebrews 12 tells us to “fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.”  What better way to grow our faith than by peering closely into the window of the Word, observing the life of Christ, seeing His promises to us, hearing His commands and His warnings?


“For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it.”

Heb.  2:1

1 comment:

Rosalie said...

:)