Monday, March 7, 2011

ukay-ukay

For some of you it would be the ultimate garage sale.
Ukay-ukay literally means "dig, dig."


It's what happens when an enterprising Filipino spends a few dollars to ship a crate of American left-overs to the Philippines for resale. And ukay-ukay is the name for the Filipino tradition of digging through those piles of clothing, shoes, linens, etc., hoping to find some buried treasure for a few pesos. (The clothes typically sell for between 10 cents -$2 or so.)



These left-overs (items you gave to Goodwill along with seconds that didn't sell at Old Navy) are tossed in piles; on tables, on the ground,or sometimes they are hung on hangers for easier browsing. (Though those ones tend to cost more.)
These ukay-ukays are all over the city - sometimes stretched out for a block on the sidewalk for a weekend sale, other times in their own shop space.



As you dig through your own closet today,
hoping to unearth that perfect something to wear,
remember with me that the most valuable clothing of all
is that which is too precious to be bought;
yet free to those who believe...


I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God,
for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation;
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness

Isaiah 61:10


I know it will severely disappoint some of you to hear that no, we haven't gone digging yet.
Ya'll know I'd rather do my ukay- ukaying at the used book-store, digging for treasures to read!


No comments: