Monday, September 2, 2013

when you walk through fire

As usual, I was in the kitchen early on Sunday morning, preparing food for breakfast, and extra food for the church potluck this week. Just as I was about to slide a pan into the oven, I heard the first 'crack.' 

The big puff of black smoke behind the stove prompted me to turn off the gas oven. But that wasn't the issue.  Right away there was another 'crack' and another puff, and by the time I could look behind the stove, the short circuited extension cord was already sparking at the outlet.

 
I don't know about you, but I've never been around an electrical fire before. The sparks very quickly turned to flames, just 12 inches from the gas line to the stove.  I silently blessed my husband for stocking our kitchen with a fire extinguisher.  And I gave thanks for our solid concrete walls.

The shock factor came in how potent that extinguisher is. Pink, smelly dry chemicals filled the room. After leaving the room for some air, I came back quickly to find the flames licking again.  

I think it might have been about that time that I started to yell, but our kids tell me that I don't yell loud enough.  Mark wasn't home, and only Amy heard me.  Four or five extinguisher blasts later, the fire went out, and I started breathing again.


But we couldn't really breathe in the kitchen.  The dust was still flying, polluting the air.
After it settled a little, we masked ourselves

'gwapo!' lookin' good, guys!
and started to clean it up, 
knowing that the smelly dust would continue to contaminate the air until we got rid of it.
The dry chemicals had coated just about the whole kitchen,
so it took awhile to clean it all up.
Not exactly the day of rest I had envisioned. ;)

Our "fire-place"  :)  You can see...it was just a small fire!
Several women from church came by in the afternoon, showing their love by checking on us in person.  Others texted to check on us.  What a sweet group of friends!  Thank you, ladies!

That evening the kids and I collapsed to listen to our usual Sunday night sermon, broadcast from our home church.  The sermon for the week was so aptly titled, "He Cares for You."  It was just what my heart needed to hear.  One verse from Isaiah especially jumped out at me:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
..

when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, 
and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Isaiah 43:2

 That's Who He is. 
My Savior!
And I know that I can fully, utterly trust Him and His care for me.
Even through fire.
Thanks be to God!

6 comments:

faithspillingover.com said...

Oh Barbara! I'm so sorry. Glad you were okay, but that is not my idea either of a great Sunday...

I've been memorizing the passage God used to speak to you. Never been through literal fire myself...

evidentgrace said...

Wow, I'm so glad the Lord protected you!

us5 said...

wow - you've been memorizing that passage from Isaiah? maybe that's exactly what i need...

us5 said...

thanks, Donna! ♥

Janelle said...

OH you look so funny .
Sorry that happened though.
Love: Janelle

us5 said...

:) i'm glad our kids could still smile Janelle...even in the middle of a big mess to clean!