Thursday, October 21, 2010

blessing


A family of Filipino friends walked in the door. Their thirteen year-old son, Jotham, walked over to greet me. He took my hand and bowed his head. In my ignorance, I thought to shake his hand, until I realized that he had lifted my hand to his forehead.


Blessing.

The gesture of raising the hand of an elder to the forehead is a demonstration of respect and honor, and is called 'Bless.' My heart swelled with wonder. Not only had Jotham shown me tribute as an older friend, but he had given me the dignity of inclusion in a ritual uniquely theirs.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it will look like in heaven,
when all nations, tribes, people and tongues together,
with one purpose,
but unique in custom and expression,
will give glory and blessing to Christ,
who is worthy of all praise,
all honor,
and all worship!



Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be to Him that sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb for ever and ever!

Revelation 5:13

No comments: