Monday, May 2, 2011

only guardian


Walking to a friend's house today, 
I was reminded of a sight that, when I first arrived in the Philippines,
caught me by surprise.

I realized that now I'm so used to it, 
 I never even notice any more.

But today I saw them again, 
and decided to photograph a few of
these dual guardians of many homes;

Jesus and his mother Mary.

These plaques adorn the entrances to so many neighborhood homes. 
And I wonder, 
how much must this grieve Mary,
as she sees glory taken from Christ
and bestowed on her?


Yes, all people call her blessed.


But only because of what God did in her life.
Mary's son, her Savior,
 the only Guardian of her soul
is the only One worthy of our praise and trust.

***
I am the LORD; that is my name! 
I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.
Isaiah 42:8

No comments: